Saturday 6 May 2017

Dear everyone,

Please find below details of the show Empire II The Age of Anxiety, curated by Vanya Balogh, for the 57th Venice Biennale. 


My short film "Singing Ghost" will be playing on the show reel.

The 1990s. My art: installations. Furniture, found objects, taxidermy.

Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher rolled out Care in the Community. Hospitals and institutions closed. An auction of furniture and equipment. A hospital screen. The poignancy of its chintz rose pattern. The patina on the fabric, rich with emotional resonance. Sanderson Chelsea. 1950s style retro. English beauty, wonder, fascination. Floral motifs, history. Domestic architecture. I started drawing. Painting again. An experiment. Describing and capturing process. I paint. A description of flowers to uplift and revive the spirit in times of adversity.

In November 2016 I put the last of the remaining original flower drawings from the first “Screen Flowers” series outside in the elements, to document the process of decay, filming and photographing snatches of the drawing encased in ice and snow. Bringing these fragments together, my film is a representation of live art interaction Singing Ghost - an exploration of our collective anxiety regarding mortality, an examination of the context and meaning of song lyrics, and an interpretation of mythology surrounding hauntings.

The opening party - vernissage - takes place next week on Wednesday the 12th of May, and the show continues throughout the Biennale with artist talks and an evolving portal. There is a book launch scheduled for May 27th, and there will be Cinema of the Mind in the afternoon on May 14th.





I will be attending the opening party next week, so I hope to see you there!


Follow this link for an article in Artylist magazine:

http://www.artlyst.com/features/uk-ireland-showing-2017-venice-biennale/


​And here we are on the map:

Finally, here are some pictures taken by Ansell Cizic, of some of the paintings from my last exhibition, Floral Anthology, at Westminster Reference Library. While working on these paintings I realised that I was born to paint! And so expect more paintings from me soon..






With love and best wishes - Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment